What is never the wrong size, never requires assembly, never goes out of style and always means something? A gift from the American Red Cross. Our 2013 Holiday Campaign is in full swing and shoppers can go through the online Red Cross gift catalog and purchase a variety of symbolic gifts in the name of people on their gift list and give a gift that means something to those in need.
The holiday gift catalog includes items such as:
- Hot meals, a warm blanket or a full day of shelter for a victim of disaster
- A comfort kit for an injured service member containing things such as a robe, shower shoes, toiletries and a music gift card
- First aid and CPR online courses to help caregivers learn what to do when a medical emergency occurs
- Infant care supplies for babies caught up in a disaster, items such as formula, diapers and more
- Vaccinations to help people, especially children, around the world avoid contracting what can be a deadly disease
Gifts that give help the Red Cross in many ways, such as sending trained volunteers, like Karen and Rick Campion from Minnesota, to help people affected by disasters. Most recently, and pictured below, they responded to the Illinois disaster relief operation following the tornadoes that hit November 17, 2013.
The purchase of each symbolic gift item is a tax-deductible contribution that supports the mission of the Red Cross. The catalog gifts are contributions toward a Red Cross program area, not a donation to a specific project or item. Those who participate will receive free gifts such as a Red Cross Water Bottle for a donation of $100 or more or a Family First Aid Kit for a donation of $200 or more.
Other ways you can give something that means something include:
- Make a financial donation to the Red Cross
- Schedule an appointment to give blood
- Send cards to members of the Armed Forces through the Red Cross Holiday Mail for Heroes program
- Give the gift of their time by becoming a Red Cross volunteer
We are there when people need help – assisting someone during a disaster, sending emergency communications to members of the Armed Forces, providing blood to a hospital patient, training people in life-saving skills, or helping people in need around the world. Support the American Red Cross 2013 Holiday Campaign and remember all those who look to the Red Cross for help – give something that means something.