Home cooking is cozy.
Kitchen fires are not.
Use the 10 tips below to keep cozy all holiday season long.
1. Avoid wearing loose clothing or sleeves that dangle
2. Never leave frying, grilling or broiling food unattended
3. Check often simmering, baking, roasting or broiling food
4. Use a timer to remember the stove and oven are on
5. Keep kids and pets away from cooking area, especially the stove and oven
6. Place items that can catch fire – like pot holders, oven mitts, and wooden utensils – away from appliances that generate heat
7. Clean cooking surfaces frequently to prevent grease buildup
8. Have, and know how to use, a fire extinguisher in or near your kitchen
9. Make sure appliances, especially the stove and oven, are turned off before going to bed or leaving the home
10. Test smoke alarms. Need them? Click here.
Want more tips for emergencies? Click here to find and download free Red Cross First Aid and Pet First aid apps for your mobile devices.